Ceftiofur 50mg/mL (as hydrochloride) in a suspension for injection into cattle and pigs.
Ceftiofur is a broad-spectrum, third generation cephalosporin antibiotic, active against both Gram+ve and Gram-ve bacteria. Ceftiofur interferes with cell wall synthesis leading to cell lysis, and is resistant to beta-lactamases.
- For the treatment of bacterial respiratory disease associated with Mannhemia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida and Histophilus somni (formerly Haemophilus somnus).
- For the treatment of acute interdigital necrobacillosis (panaritium, foot rot), associated with Fusobacterium necrophorum and Porphyromonas asaccharolytica (formerly Bacteroides melaninogenicus).
- For the treatment of the bacterial component of acute post-partum (puerperal) metritis within 10 days after calving associated with Fusobacterium necrophorum, Porphyromonas asaccharolytica, and Trueperella pyogenes. The indication is restricted to cases where treatment with another antimicrobial has failed.
Treatment of bacterial respiratory disease associated with Pasteurella multocida, Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae and Streptococcus suis.
Not for use in bobby calves. Do not administer to animals previously found to be hypersensitive to ceftiofur and other beta-lactam antibiotics. Do not inject intravenously. Do not use in poultry (including eggs) due to risk of spread of antimicrobial resistance to humans.
The low toxicity of ceftiofur has been demonstrated in pigs using doses in excess of 8x the recommended daily dose intramuscularly administered for 15 consecutive days. In cattle, no signs of toxicity have been observed following substantial parenteral overdosages.
Intramuscular injections should be made by directing the needle of suitable gauge and length into the anterior half of the neck. Before injecting the solution, pull back gently on the plunger. If blood appears in the syringe, a blood vessel has been entered; withdraw the needle and select a different site. No more than 10 mL solution should be injected per site
- Respiratory disease:
1 mg ceftiofur/kg bw/day for 3 days by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, i.e. 2 mL/100 kg bw at each injection. Additional treatments should be given on days 4 and 5 for cattle that do not respond after the first 3 treatments.
- Acute interdigital necrobacillosis (foot rot):
1 mg/kg bw/day for 3 days by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, i.e. 2 mL/100 kg bw at each injection.
- Acute post-partum metritis within 10 days after calving:
2.2 mg/kg bw/day at 24 hour intervals for 5 consecutive days by subcutaneous or intramuscular injection, i.e. 4.4 mL/100 kg bw at each injection.
3mg ceftiofur/kg bw for 3 days by i/m injection, ie. 1mL/16kg b.w.
Re-evaluate the diagnosis if no improvement occurs within 3-5 days.
Hypersensitivity reactions unrelated to dose can occur.
Shake the bottle well before use to bring product back into suspension. In case of an allergic reaction withdraw the treatment. Do not use as a prophylaxis in case of retained placenta.
MILK: 1 milking or 12 hours following the last treatment.
MEAT: 2 days after the last treatment.
Store below 25°C. Do not refrigerate or freeze. Protect from light.
Shelf life after first opening the container is 28 days.
Safety Data Sheet available upon request
- Ceftiofur 50mg/mL (as hydrochloride) in a suspension for injection into cattle and pigs.
- Available in 100mL vials.
Product code: 9695
Restricted Veterinary Medicine: A10848